I saw a video in which the narrator raised the topic of “Choose Your Hard”. The concept is that sometimes you are faced with 2 opposite choices, both are hard, but one of them is a wiser choice. I don’t know who had this idea first, I wish I knew who to credit this notion to.
The examples given were:
- Divorce is hard. Working on your marriage is hard. Choose your hard.
- Being obese is hard. Getting fit is hard. Choose your hard.
Life is hard, no matter which path you walk down. Let’s explore it in more detail, this time in relation to business:
- Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
- Keeping your cash in the bank and watching it earn 1% is hard. Investing in something a bit riskier where the rewards are potentially higher is hard. Choose your hard.
- Having no new business leads is hard. Speaking to strangers at a networking event is hard. Choose your hard.
- Finding time to do all your daily tasks is hard. Delegating and training your staff is hard. Choose your hard.
- Watching your business stagnate is hard. Committing to increase your marketing spend is hard. Choose your hard.
- Doing the same things over and over is hard. Writing and regularly reviewing your business plan is hard. Choose your hard.
- Recruiting new staff is hard. Engaging a recruitment agent is hard. Choose your hard.
- Avoiding difficult conversations is hard. Having difficult but necessary conversations is hard. Choose your hard.
Life is hard, no matter what. Sometimes the harder choice is the best one. Embrace the challenges, find time and energy to do the things you know you need to do. Look for solutions, not excuses.